Use the guide below to help troubleshoot the video issues you are experiencing in either UD Capture Space or Canvas.
Enable Third Party Cookies
You may see an error while you access UD Capture “My Media” or “Media Gallery” in your Canvas course that reads
“It seems your browser is blocking 3rd party session cookies which are required for the Kaltura application. To resolve this issue, please update your settings to allow 3rd party cookies.”
Cookies are used to integrate Canvas and Kaltura video services together for a seamless experience. Kaltura is the video management platform that powers UD Capture as of 2019. To alleviate this error, you need to enable third-party cookies in your web browser.
- Safari: Preferences / Privacy tab, uncheck “Prevent cross-site tracking” or check “Always allow” (depending on your version of Safari). Learn more about enabling cookies in Safari.
- Firefox: Preferences > Privacy & Security > Third Party Cookies: select “Trackers (recommended)”. Learn more about enabling cookies in Firefox.
- Google Chrome: Preferences > Advanced > Content Settings > Cookies: deselect “Block third-party cookies.” Learn more about enabling cookies in Google Chrome.
- Microsoft Edge: Settings > Advanced > Cookies: select “Don’t block cookies.” Learn more about enabling cookies in Microsoft Edge.
Video Still Not Playing?
If the videos are still not playing for you, here’s some other things you can try.
- Try another browser. Try using another browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc. Having an alternate browser is a good strategy for troubleshooting issues around other web based problems as well.
- Disable browser extensions. Certain browser extensions such as Ghostery or Adblocker can cause videos to not appear or play at all as well as cause student responses to video quizzes to not be recorded at all. Disable all extensions first to confirm if the video plays. If it does, begin re-enabling extensions one by one and confirm if the video still plays.
- Clear cookies. You can try clearing cookies specifically for Kaltura, use the domain kaf.kaltura.com as a filter and clear all cookies related to it.
- Try a different computer. Try using any of computer you may have access to, including laptops, desktops, tablets such as iPads, or your mobile phone.
- Create a new user profile on your computer. By creating a new user profile (separate from the one you typically use), you start with a clean set of settings, including those related to your browser. You can create new user profiles in Windows 10 and MacOS X.