Embedding a video in a Canvas Assignment is a great way to provide context to a video by listing it with other content in order. This can also serve as a way to share videos with only select students within your Canvas course. To embed a video into an Canvas Assignment, follow these steps.
- In your Canvas course, click Assignment from the left Course Navigation Menu.
- Click the +Assignment button, in the upper right-hand corner to add a new assignment.
- In the rich content editor toolbar, click the Apps icon which looks like a power cord.
Note: If you don’t see all the icons in the toolbar, enlarge or maximize your browser window.The Select App window displays.
- Click the Embed UD Capture Video option. A popup displays showing your My Media and Media Gallery.
Note: After you select an app, a dropdown arrow displays next to the Apps icon so you select the app directly or click View All to select other apps.
- In the Embed UD Capture Video popup window, find the video you want to use from your My Media and
- (A) Click Select for a medium size video or
- (B) Click the down arrow (“v“) for a larger or smaller video.
- After a few moments, the video should display in the editor window. You may want to add text above and/or below your video to supplement the video and add context.
- Set the Points for the assignment to 0.
- Set Display Grade As “Not Graded”
- To make the video available for a select student(s), adjust the Assign to settings by removing “Everyone” and adding the individual student(s) name.
- Click Save (to save now but publish later) or Save and Publish (to immediately publish/share with your students).
Note: If you are only sharing an assignment with individual students, a warning will appear, when you click Save/Save and Publish, confirming your choice to not include the entire class for this assignment. Click the Continue button to confirm your choice of sharing with only select students.